Are you reaaaaaady…to learn how to make delicious vegetarian and vegan dishes just in time for Thanksgiving? Are you prepared to make plant based entrées fit for even the most carnivorous foodie? You won’t even miss the meat!
On my beauteous bday, I attended Whole Foods Market Cooking School in Lincoln Park to learn about preparing meatless meals thanks to Google+ Local Chicago.
- 2 cups cooked brown or green lentils such as Melissa’s Steamed Lentils (all natural, no preservatives, non-GMO)
- 2 cups cooked short grain brown rice
- 1 cup rolled oats, blended such as Bob’s Red Mill Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning blend
- 1/2 tbsp sage
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp ketchup to spread on loaf
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a blender, place rolled oats and blend into powder
- In a saute pan, add oil. Italian seasoning and sage. Allow to cook until oil absorbs spices and aroma fills the air. Add onions and garlic. Saute until onions are translucent and soft.
- In a large bowl, add cooked lentils, cooked rice, blended oats, sauted onion and garlic mixture, crushed tomatoes and BBQ sauce. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour loaf mixture into a well-greased bread pan and pat down. Add ketchup to the top and with the back of spoon, spread to coat the exposed loaf.
- Bake for 1 hour. Let sit for 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and enjoy!!
Kate has been bugging me to demonstrate my new culinary skills for the holiday. She may have to wait for Part 2, French Onion Soup and Mushroom Gravy, coming soon! Don’t drool like her while you’re waiting. 😉
**Recipe from Whole Foods Cooking School, Lincoln Park