Have you heard the news that Americans can’t/don’t cook? As a country, we spend more time watching cooking shows than actually cooking. Cooking, however, allows us to have more control over what we put in our bodies than eating takeout or processed pre-cooked foods. So if you can’t cook (yet) or feel like you are too busy, healthy meal delivery services can dissolve both of these problems while being affordable.
ChopBox is a Chicago based company that provides:
- Family friendly dinner kits for 4. Price per person is around $10 a person, less than you usually spend at many healthy fast restaurants.
- Pre-portioned meals changed weekly to add variety. They do the shopping and portioning. You cook and enjoy!
- Delivers the recipes and ingredients directly to your house so you can get your chef on. Unlike other meal delivery service, you can either try ChopBox once OR sign-up for weekly meal service.
Now We’re Cookin’
We were given 2 meals to sample in exchange for an unbiased review:
- Tofu Stir Fry with rice noodles and veggies
- Bright colorful vegetables and perfect amount of tangy sauce.
- Delicious, filling, and we had more than enough for 4 people. YAY healthy leftovers!
- Raspberry Pecan Crusted Chicken with sauteed asparagus and jasmine rice
- Crunchy dark green asparagus, spicy sweet raspberry sauce and juicy pecan crusted baked chicken…yum!
- Recipe cards are colorful with easy step-by-step instructions.
- (Tip: Make sure you read carefully. Kate missed the fact that egg white was pre-portioned and included, thus she needlessly cracked two eggs and wasted them. Umm and she overcooked the jasmine rice so try not to multi-task).
- Both recipes were ones that Kate hadn’t made on her own so you get guidance and encouragement to try new foods.
To the Chopping Block
- The weekly menu options are a bit more limited than other meal services we have seen and/or tried with slim to no vegetarian options. ChopBox is willing to work with you on any allergy or diet requests, however, so put your foodie desires out there.
- If you are an experienced chef, you may want to add your own flava’ to spice it up to your taste.
- If you don’t cook AT ALL, please note that you will need some basic ingredients like salt, pepper, olive oil, and pans to make these meals work.
- You may have to chop ingredients 😉 for some recipes so we hope you have some decent knives. The chicken dish actually required very minimal prep (no chopping) compared to the tofu.
Wanna skip the line tonight?
- Enter here to WIN your own ChopBox and feel like the next Master Chef.
- Giveaway runs from July 11th-July 18th.
- You must live in the following states to win and delivered: Illinois, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin and Indiana.
- Ready to roll with a ChopBox? Sign up here!