Hey Chicagoans! We’re sure you’ve noticed how easy it is to incorporate local farmer’s market produce into your summer time recipes but cooking in winter, jeez what to make? Then, along comes the Green City Market Cookbook. Inspired by the beloved Lincoln … Continue reading
Tag Archives: healthymexican
Meatless Mexican Mushroom Monday
Enchilada Stuffed Mushrooms
Modified recipe from here.
Say our title 3 times fast…Meatless Mexican Mushroom Monday!
We love mushrooms (smooches)! They are versatile and sturdy, plus they provide protein making them a happening substitute on meatless Mondays. This recipe can be a fancy yet simple appetizer for parties as well. We prepared this for a ladies lunch get-together in only 30 minutes which left way more time to get purty.
- 15 baby bella mushrooms
- 2 oz light cream cheese, softened
- 4 oz block of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup grated parmigianno regianno cheese
- 1/4 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 green onion, sliced
- garlic salt
- 1/3 tsp cayenne
- sea salt, black pepper, and chili flakes, sprinkle to taste
- 1/2 pouch of Ricky Bayless Frontera Red Chile Enchilada Sauce
- Preheat oven 375 degrees. Lightly spray Olive Oil cooking spray in baking pan.
- Remove stem from mushrooms. Wash and clean the dirt off mushroom cap.
- Mix softened cream cheese, grated sharp cheddar, parmigianno regianno cheese, taco seasoning, garlic salt, cayenne, salt, black pepper, and chili flakes.
- Stuff the mixture into the mushrooms and arrange in baking pan. Pour Frontera Enchilada Sauce. Sprinkle shredded sharp cheddar.
- Bake for 20 minutes until brown and bubbly!
Final result: Some of the guests weren’t hot for Mexican food but could not stop eating them! These were the best stuffed mushrooms we’ve ever had as well with melt in your mouth cheese and the perfect kick of spiciness. Get crazy and add black beans, avocado and side of Late July Mild Green Mojo chips from Whole Foods to compliment them.
We are anxious to experience the Rick Bayless empire, especially XOCO, to indulge in his woodland mushroom Torta to expand our mushroom meal menagerie.
Restaurant Rendezvous: Taco Joint
The upscale taco place can be a hard sell when there are so many delicious cheap taco places in Chicago. Taco Joint bridges the gap by providing a modern atmosphere, twists on the traditional menu and a manageable price. We started off with the TJ Margarita flight. Although the Sangria was a little basic, the Beergarita with refreshing frozen lime and Negro Modelo and the traditional Margarita with a perfect balance of liquor and fresh lime, were satisfying. Our starter was the esquites guacamole, with corn and cotija cheese. We snagged some hot salsa to perk up the flavor.
The main reason, however, that you should grace Taco Joint with your presence is the Torta Panela. Panela cheese is a Mexican cheese, much like Indian Paneer, that remains semi firm when heated. The torta bread and panela, perfectly grilled, were paired with watercress, charred avocado and chipotle sauce. Vegetarian heaven, we say!