Runners and Lifters will love this Chicago Workout with @CTFChicago Continue reading
Did you know May is ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) Awareness Month?! We certainly did not until we learned about an awesome charity run on July 14th, the Strike Out ALS 5K. Go beyond the ice bucket and #challengeALS by raising … Continue reading
Music festivals, street food, Summer Dance, Taste of Chicago, baseball games: Chicago is a tourist’s dream. Even us natives like a good hotel staycation to explore all that this great city has to offer. But after all those donuts, Chicago dogs and Malort, you may need a good workout!
As travelling and fitness aren’t always synonymous, the Hyatt Regency Chicago is giving your health a helping hand with heart pumping in-room workout videos from the Barre Code. Started in Chicago, the Barre Code has expanded across the country due to its’ poppy music, female friendly environment and muscle shaping moves. Instead of Bearing Down (Chicago Bears!), you can barre up with specially created sets of body weight based strength training and intense cardio. Each video unexpectedly uses common in-room items like towels, chairs and pillows to add functionality. Guests can pump up the difficulty by borrowing free weights and yoga mats for no extra cost. The 24 hour availability of workouts insure that business or pleasure doesn’t barre fitness endeavors!
Hyatt Chicago is seated downtown at 151 East Wacker Drive near Mag Mile. This Sunday, April 26th 11 AM – 2 PM, Hyatt Chicago and The Barre Code are hosting a complimentary fun-filled fitness.
The Barre Code has studios throughout Chicago and is opening a new studio in Oak Park, IL at the beginning of May. Studios also exist in Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Texas with more to come!
Are we the only ones who threw on bikinis under our parkas in the 70s Chicago weather Wednesday? Yes, us Chicagoans are weather obsessed because dang it! Our favorite very short spring/summer season is finally on the horizon. With that in mind, we have been picking up the fit pace by trying new workout options in the Chi. On Monday, we were honored to be invited to Flywheel Old Town for an intro to their Spring Flywheel Challenge. Starting 4/20, Flywheel will be offering a support system to help you meet whatever your health and fitness goals are. So if you want to throw off the parka and prance around the Maggie Daley water slides, now is the time to focus on those goals.
Allison, our Flywheel instructor and a challenge coach explained that the challenge can be whatever you want it to be. Whether you want to lose weight, gain endurance or speed or build muscle, the staff at Flywheel will cater the plan to meet your needs. The basic skeleton is this:
There are 3 options for the 4 week challenge – The Flywheel Challenge, FlyBarre Challenge and FlyPlus Challenge (both Barre and Flywheel).
(Below description of Flywheel Challenge is described by the Flywheel promotional team)
· 4 classes per week / 16 classes total
· Optional weekly weigh-ins with designated Flywheel Coach
· Kick-off event with a nutritional seminar and a Flywheel technique workshop that addresses proper bike set-up, positioning, arms and more to ensure that participants understand how to get the most out of their workout
· The Flywheel Challenge is optimal for those looking to burn calories, increase endurance and improve cardiovascular health
· 4 classes per week / 16 classes total
· Includes optional weekly measurements with designated FlyBarre Coach
· Kick-off event includes nutritional seminar and a FlyBarre 101 workshop where various portions of a FlyBarre class will be highlighted (at a broken down pace) to ensure participants have a better understanding of movements and technique
· The FlyBarre Challenge is optimal for those looking to tone and sculpt, improve core strength, and increase muscular stamina
· 3 Flywheel classes and 3 FlyBarre classes per week / 24 classes total
· Includes optional weekly weigh-ins and/or measurements with designated FLY Coach
· Kick-off event includes nutritional seminar, a Flywheel technique workshop and a FlyBarre 101 workshop
· The FlyPlus Challenge is optimal for those looking to burn calories, increase endurance AND tone and sculpt
All Challenges include other perks like community discussions with other challengers to get peer motivation, professional nutrition support and meal plans as well as a kick off and closing party.
Our Experience at Flywheel:
So spinning…is somewhat intimidating for those who have barely done it. You have these shoes that strap you in and bike pedals that lock and load so it’s best to know what you are doing. We liked Flywheel’s friendly front desk staff and sleek studio space. The studio had support gentlemen who helped us get the perfect bike set up while the instructor was preparing to start class. The atmosphere during the class was less competitive and more like a fun dance party. We definitely needed to towel off the sweat and were challenged by the intensity of the interval portions of class.
Interested in getting a taste of the challenge? WIN WIN WIN
One lucky winner will receive a free Flywheel class* to prep for summa summa timeeee. Just comment on this blog post and tell us what your health and fitness goal are in preparation for the warmer months.
*Winner will need to set up a (free) account and username to access the class.
Sign up here to get on that cycle and ride into the sun, friends!